You are right next to the chapel of La Antigua, the core, the nucleus and the warmth of this place.
And the fact is that throughout its history Zumarraga has been pumping stone and timber into La Antigua and feeding it; these materials together with iron have been shaping the landscape of this locality.
La Antigua, a reference of identity
During the Middle Ages La Antigua was known as the church of Santa Maria. Thanks to a reference to it in a document of 1366, we know it has existed from that year onwards. In 1388 it already enjoyed the designation of Parish Church, a status that endowed it with certain privileges. This is how this church became a meeting place and a reference.
- It was the centre of religious life: People worshipped at Santa Maria and as it was the parish church the local inhabitants were able to receive all the sacraments there.
- It was a point of cohesion: The inhabitants of the parish of Zumarraga were to be found at the church, called thus because its population lived spread out all over the area.
- It was the nucleus of political life: As it was a place shared by the whole population, the inhabitants used to congregate there to make the decisions affecting the community.
- It was a space for social ostentation: Inside, each member was assigned his/her own seat and the position depended on the social rank held by each one.
- It was an important centre for rent collecting: The church received different types of income such as tithes, first fruits or offerings from its parishioners. The collecting of this capital was assigned to private individuals, who used to hand the income over to the church after keeping a percentage of it for themselves.